Interactive radio services like Slacker and Pandora fall into the latter category, because all you have to do his hit Play and away you go, using either the website or the mobile app. Most of us shift between these two styles of listening. But even the most hardcore music-collecting vinyl junky with 100GB of FLAC audio files likes to lean back from time to time.
Valentine’s Day (or any other holiday) is one of these times. After your custom-made “Smooth Jamz” playlist runs out of steam, turn to one of these holiday-themed stations on Pandora or Slacker. As with other stations on the services, these Valentine’s Day stations are sculpted to your taste (i.e. how you have rated songs in the past) in a variety of genres.
- Rock Ballads Radio will take you back to the days of big hair and big love ballads. Raise your lighters in the air, grab the one you love, and find your own ‘Paradise by the Dashboard Light.’ Big Rock Ballads on Slacker Radio features all the best balladeers from the 70’s and 80’s like Journey, Foreigner, and Aerosmith.
- Country Love Radio: Country music is the music of our lives; the good, the bad, love, and loss. Country Love on Slacker Radio takes the best of Country and focuses only on the love songs: old fashion All-American love stories. Country Love on Slacker Radio plays everything from today’s superstars to yesterday’s timeless country. Fall in love with the boy or girl next door all over again. If you already enjoy Country on Slacker Radio, this is your Valentines Day soundtrack.
- Metropolitan Mood Radio is the provocative soundtrack to seduction and love. It’s not so much about the lyrics, as it is the sound and tempo of this mood music. It’s the sound of a big-city love affair. Featuring exotic electronica, downtempo beats and retro-futuristic sounds from the likes of Morcheeba, Portishead, and Massive Attack. Let Metropolitan Mood Music on Slacker Radio provide the uninterrupted soundtrack to a night of uninterrupted passion. Recommended for lovers of Chill and Alt-Chill on Slacker Radio.
- Broken Heart Radio is a melancholy mix of lost love and yearning with a touch of soulful redemption. These songs of heartbreak and hope will show you that sadness can be beautiful and love is fleeting but always on the horizon.
- Slow Jamz Radio: Dim the lights and enjoy the most romantic artists of all time, from Marvin Gaye and Barry White to Maxwell and Alicia Keys. Your very own ‘quiet storm’ is right here, on Slacker Slow Jamz…so chill the champagne and groove.
- Pop Love Songs plays your favorite love songs from the ’80s to today, featuring Colbie Caillat, John Mayer,Journey and Maroon 5.
- Country Love Songs features the country love hits you crave from artists like Faith Hill, Lady Antebellum, Kenny Chesney and Rascal Flatts.
- R&B Love Songs lets you hear your favorite smooth tracks from artists such as Alicia Keys, Drake, Beyonce and R. Kelly.
- Alternative Indie Love Songs plays a mix from Alternative and Indie artists such as The Cure, Dave Matthews Band, Death Cab for Cutie and Coldplay.
- Classic Rock Love Songs hear your favorite Classic Rock artists hit a high love note including Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, The Beatles and Journey.
- ‘80s Love Songs brings together romantic hits from the ’80s featuring artists such as Bryan Adams, Madonna, The Police and Lionel Richie.
Not listed in Pandora’s official list is the aptly named Love Stinks Radio, which, like Slacker’s Broken Heart Radio, promises relief if you’re tired of hearing about Valentine’s Day for whatever reason, with songs about heartbreak, betrayal, loneliness and the sweet revenge of living well by The Supremes, The Pharcyde, The Cure, Haddaway and more.
Also worth a listen: