Within a week of its release, Apple iTunes featured Dynamic App Design’s Metronome Plus in its New & Noteworthy section, which is saying something for an app whose chief function is to beep or thump until you tell it to stop.
This workhorse is the sharpest-looking metronome we’ve seen for iOS. But behind its polished faceplate is an equally sharp processor that keeps accurate time with the best, as our stopwatch-judged testing confirmed.
Appearance definitely counts with basic apps like metronomes, and Metronome Plus presents a clean, user-friendly interface, just-right feature set, and dead-on accuracy. This combination beats out not only the unreliable, overly-simplistic free alternatives, but also the clunky, feature-burdened “professional” metronomes we tested.
This iPhone app’s accuracy is due to a sound engine that’s hooked directly into “low-level” APIs on the iPhone, according to its developer, who claims this provides the greatest possible temporal precision on an iPhone.
To make sure, we put it to the stopwatch test alongside several competitors.
Metronome Plus not only held to the meter, never losing a beat here or there like many of the free alternatives, but also stays faithful to the requested BPM. In a perfect world all of this would be a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised at the number of glorified click-tracks, which can’t deliver anywhere near this level of results, that other unscrupulous developers try to pass off as metronomes.
Don’t sacrifice accuracy in such an essential practice tool. Our pick is Metronome Plus.
- Digital pendulum animation for visual reinforcement
- Silent mode
- Tempo adjusts from 30 BPM to 300 BPM with eight categories from Largo (slow) to Prestissimo (fast).
- Bifurcated tempo control options include a quick adjustment wheel for significant tempo changes and +/- controls for smaller adjustments.
- Choice of eight common meters: 2/4, 2/4, 4/4, 5/4, 3/8, 6/8/, 9/8, and 12/8
- Select subdivisions: quarter note, dotted quarter, eighth, sixteenth, and triplet eighth.
- Four distinct sounds: digital, clave, woodblock, shaker
- User-selectable accent beat
This app is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch running iOS 4.2 or later, and costs $2 in the iTunes app store.